Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bless Me Ultima, Chapters 1-7


To be honest, when we received Bless Me, Ultima in class, I did not think this book was going to be fun or interesting to read. But, after reading the first seven chapters, I can say that I judged the book by its cover. Once I got reading, and read about Antonio Marez and Ultima, I didn't want to put the book down. I love how Rudolfo A. Anaya made Antonio's parents completely different. The contrast of their beliefs and upbringings adds a lot to their characters. As I kept reading I made some predictions for the rest of the book. Gabriel tells Ultima about his dream to move to California in chapter two. I think this will happen eventually, even though Gabriel worries about moving his family to California alone. Also, Antonio wonders a lot about Lupito's soul and what happened to it after he was killed. I think Anaya will bring this up again later in the story and give us some more information about that. I love how Anaya uses the spanish language throughout the text. I know a lot of other students have problems with it but I think its a great addition and brings out the culture. I can't wait to read the rest of this book and see if my predictions are accurate.

1 comment:

  1. It would be nice if you inserted a couple of meaningful quotes into your reader's blog!

    ReplyDelete