Monday, January 2, 2012

Bless Me, Ultima Chapters 13-16

As I get farther and farther into Bless Me, Ultima I keep waiting for some sort of turning point in the book. I still have many questions from the beginning of the book that have yet to be answered. Will Tenorio eventually kill Ultima? Will Antonio eventually take Ultima's place? Is Ultima really a witch? I feel like Anaya still has many loose ends that still need to be tied together. Antonio finally returns to school and gets to skip a grade and be in third grade. Antonio tells Samuel about his experience with the golden carp. Antonio also questions his beliefs and wonders if this golden carp is god. To me, thats a bit weird. Antonio gets harassed by the kids at school about Ultima. Even though its incredibly sad, one of my favorite parts of the book so far is when Narciso is killed by Tenorio. Anaya really made me hate Tenorio. Especially in this quote, "Then to add to his curse he spit on the body of Narciso." (Page 169) Tenorio threatens to kill Ultima when he is talking to Antonio, and Antonio warns Ultima. Ultima does not seem to be worried, but I think she should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment