Sunday, January 29, 2012

Texting While Walking

Navigating and trying to get where you want to go on the sidewalks of New York City is difficult enough. Now, add texting and walking to the situation, and things can get dangerous. There's little data known about the number of people injured while texting. But, studies show that more than 1,000 pedestrians visited emergency rooms in 2008 after they were injured while using a cell phone. Ohio State University's research shows that that statistic doubled each year since 2006. The author of this article says that people need to master the etiquette of texting and gain more control of their electronic lives.


The author of this article, Casey Neistat, believes that texting while walking, especially on the busy streets of New York City, is incredibly dangerous. I think it was a good decision for Neistat to include the statistic because that really amazed me. I had no idea that many people went to the emergency room for texting related accidents. And if there was 1,000 people in 2008, I wonder how many more people go to emergency rooms now. I am definitely guilty of texting while walking on busy city streets, and this article is going to make me rethink that!

2 comments:

  1. Lol... I do this all the time. I guess I would rather text and walk than text and drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's a lot of people being injured from texting! Honestly, just wait until you stop walking or sit down, the person on the other end can wait. Nice analysis.

    ReplyDelete