Monday, January 2, 2012

Bless Me, Ultima Chapters 17-22

Are you serious? I am beyond mad at Anaya right now. The ending of Bless Me, Ultima was a complete disappointment for me. I was really interested in finding out Antonio's future but Anaya left me hanging. We can assume he won't end up being a priest, after his incident with Florence. Another thing that Anaya didn't really answer is Antonio's beliefs and questions about God. I mentioned in my last blog that I was waiting for a turning point in the book. I think a real turning point is when Antonio realizes himself that he may never find the answers he is looking for. This happens at his communion.
One thing that confused me in the final chapters was Florence's death. What was Anaya trying to get across to the readers? I think Anaya was trying to say that Florence died because he didn't believe in God or religion. Personally, I don't agree with that because I also don't really practice any sort of religion or cherish any god.
To be honest, I almost cried when I read Ultima's death scene. Ultima has been so good to Antonio throughout the whole book and suddenly part of his family was gone. I was disappointed in Ultima's last words to Antonio. I thought she would say something that would hint towards Antonio's future but that didn't happen.
To sum up my thoughts on Bless Me, Ultima, I really liked the book. I was disappointed in the ending, but the rest of the book was great and kept me interested. I would definitely recommend this book to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment